Home Intro People Events Equipment Places Maps Books Photos Videos Other Reference FAQ About

World War II Database

Nashville file photo [3885]


CountryUnited States
Ship ClassBrooklyn-class Light Cruiser
Hull NumberCL-43
BuilderNew York Shipbuilding Corporation, Camden, New Jersey, United States
Laid Down24 Jan 1935
Launched2 Oct 1937
Commissioned6 Jun 1938
Decommissioned24 Jun 1946
Displacement9,475 tons standard
Length608 feet
Beam62 feet
Draft19 feet
MachineryGeared turbines, 4 screws
Power Output100,000 shaft horsepower
Speed32 knots
Armament15x6in/47, 8x5in/25, 8x50cal
Sold to Chile9 Jan 1951


ww2dbaseIn keeping with the United States Navy's naming customs of the day for cruisers, USS Nashville was named for a prominent American city, in this case the capital of Tennessee. The Brooklyn-class light cruiser was laid down on 24 Jan 1935 by the New York Shipbuilding Corporation at Camden, New Jersey, United States. She was launched 2 Oct 1937 sponsored by Ann and Mildred Stahlman, the daughters of the head of a prominent Nashville newspaper. There was one ominous moment during the launching, however. The dignitaries spoke, the band played, champagne bottles smashed, and the crowd cheered, but the ship did not move. Nashville stood in place for several silent moments with everyone staring at it, or at one another, until her several thousand tons finally began its slide down the ways and into the Delaware River.

ww2dbaseAcross the river from Camden at the Philadelphia Navy Yard, USS Nashville was commissioned on 6 Jun 1938 with Captain William W. Wilson in command. After some more fitting out, Nashville departed Philadelphia on 19 Jul 1938 for an extended shakedown cruise. Nashville first sailed to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba before making good-will ports of call in Haiti, France, Sweden, and Great Britain. On 21 Sep 1938, Nashville departed Portland, England bound for New York carrying a most secret cargo of nearly 25 tons of British gold bullion (valued at $25,000,000 in 1938 and $473,500,000 in 2021). Needless to say, Nashville made no more good-will ports of call before arriving in New York on 30 Sep 1938. After offloading the gold in Brooklyn, Nashville entered the Philadelphia Navy Yard for a post-shakedown refit.

ww2dbaseIn 1939, Nashville was selected to transport Army staff officers to the Pan American Defense Conference in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. On 29 Apr 1939 in New York, Army Deputy Chief of Staff, Brigadier General George C. Marshall, boarded Nashville bound for Brazil. On the return trip, Nashville also carried Brazilian Army Chief of Staff General Goes Monteiro and delivered the party to the Naval Academy at Annapolis, Maryland.

ww2dbaseOn 23 Jun 1939, Nashville departed Norfolk, Virginia bound for the Pacific. Transiting the Panama Canal on 6 Jul 1939, she arrived at San Diego, California on 16 July 1939. Nashville spent the next two years in the Pacific participating in Fleet Problems and other exercises. On 1 Jan 1940, Captain Ralph S. Wentworth relieved Captain Wilson as Nashville's commanding officer and then on 1 May 1941, he himself was relieved by Captain Francis S. Craven. Nashville returned to the Atlantic in 1941 in time to help escort the 1st Provisional Marine Brigade to their deployment to Iceland on 8 Jul 1941.

ww2dbaseBeginning in Aug 1941, Nashville operated out of Bermuda as part of the Neutrality Patrols in the Central Atlantic. In one of Nashville's first patrols, the cruiser sailed with escort carrier USS Long Island in the first anti-submarine patrol to include an escort carrier and coordinated air operations. In Dec 1941 when the United States formally entered World War II following the bombing of Pearl Harbor, Nashville initially remained in the Atlantic and escorted more convoys to Iceland until Feb 1942.

ww2dbaseOn 4 Mar 1942, the freshly commissioned Yorktown-class fleet carrier USS Hornet departed Norfolk, Virginia. As Hornet entered the Atlantic Ocean, she was joined by Nashville and both ships, along with other escorts, steamed south toward the Panama Canal. Arriving in California's San Francisco Bay on 20 Mar 1942, the task group fueled and provisioned for a sortie into the Pacific. At the Alameda Naval Air Station, sixteen Army B-25 Mitchell bombers were hoisted onto Hornet's flight deck. The group then departed San Francisco Bay on 2 Apr 1942 bound for the Central Pacific.

ww2dbaseOn 13 Apr 1942 north of Midway Island, Hornet and her escorts were joined by USS Enterprise and her escorts and the combined force continued sailing west. On 17 Apr 1942, the carriers and cruisers detached from their escorts and made a speed run westward. The next day, the force detected several Japanese patrol boats and Nashville was ordered to sink the closest one, patrol boat No. 23 Nitto Maru. In an effort to silence Nitto Maru's radio, Nashville engaged the boat at maximum range of 9,000 yards. With the extended range, the small size of the enemy boat, and the uneven seas, it took Nashville 30 minutes and 938 rounds of 6-inch shells to sink the boat, despite the boat also being attacked by Enterprise aircraft at the same time. Nashville made 25 knots to rejoin the carriers but when Nashville met them, they had reversed course and were heading east. Hornet had already launched all sixteen Army bombers led by Army Lieutenant Colonel Jimmy Doolittle on their air raid against the Japanese home islands. Nashville was then ordered to sink another gun boat, the Nagato Maru. Again with assistance from Enterprise dive bombers, Nashville engaged the gun boat with 65 rounds of 5-inch guns and 102 rounds from her main 6-inch guns for over 18 minutes before the boat sank. Nashville then picked up five Japanese survivors as well two air crewmembers from an Enterprise SBD Dauntless that crashed in the water.

ww2dbaseAs Nashville was engaging these two gun boats, Enterprise aircraft were attacking nine other Japanese vessels in the area. Once the coverage of the carriers' withdrawal was complete, the entire force retired towards Hawaii and arrived at Pearl Harbor on 25 Apr 1942.

ww2dbaseNashville departed Hawaii on 14 May 1942 bound for Dutch Harbor in the Aleutian Islands. Two days later, she sailed for Kodiak where the commander of Task Force 8, Rear Admiral Robert Theobald, came aboard and made Nashville his flagship. Task Force 8's responsibility was to protect the Aleutians as best they could but with Navy resources in the Pacific so greatly depleted at this stage of the war and the bulk of those remaining resources engaged in the recent Battle of the Coral Sea and the upcoming Battle of Midway, Task Force 8 was obligated to do what they could with something of a patchwork flotilla. The Japanese assault on Midway included a diversionary assault on the Aleutians in Nashville's operating area. On 3 Jun 1942, carrier planes bombed Dutch Harbor but heavy fog at sea prohibited Nashville's small group of ships from engaging the carriers. Over the next four days, Dutch Harbor was bombed again and Attu and Kiska in the western Aleutians were occupied without opposition. Over the next five months, American forces harassed the Japanese occupiers to the extent that they could, including Nashville's 7 Aug 1942 shore bombardment of Japanese installations on Kiska.

ww2dbaseAt about this same time, Allied forces suffered stunning cruiser losses at the Battle of Savo Island in the Solomon Islands that required a reshuffling of all cruiser assets in the Pacific. Before this reached Nashville, Captain Herman A. Spanagel relieved Captain Craven while at sea on 30 Sep 1942. In Nov 1942 as winter approached in the rugged North Pacific, Nashville was ordered south. After stops at Pearl Harbor and with transiting time, Nashville actually took her station operating from Espiritu Santo in the New Hebrides in early Jan 1943. Again, Nashville was made her force's flagship, this time Rear Admiral Walden L. Ainsworth's Cruiser Task Force 67 made up of seven cruisers plus escorts. The force began by shelling the Japanese airfield at Munda on New Georgia in the Solomon Islands resulting in considerable damage. Additional bombardment targets over the next several months included others on New Georgia as well as Kolombangara and also covering ships in mine laying operations.

ww2dbaseOn the night of 12 May 1943 while covering mine layers on the northwestern approaches to Kula Gulf between Kolombangara and New Georgia, Nashville commenced a bombardment of Vila Airfield on Kolombangara. During that action, two powder charges for her main 6-inch guns exploded inside Nashville's Number 3 turret instantly killing seven men and injuring many others. Eleven of the injured men would later die of their wounds bringing the total casualty count to 18 dead and 17 injured. Nashville withdrew to Espiritu Santo for a week before pressing across the Pacific to Mare Island Naval Shipyard in California, arriving 4 Jun 1943 for repairs and an overhaul.

ww2dbaseNashville departed the San Francisco area on 6 Aug 1943 bound for Pearl Harbor. After 16 days at Pearl Harbor, Nashville sailed as an escort for the carriers USS Essex and USS Yorktown (Essex-class) bound for Marcus Island northwest of Wake. On 31 Aug 1943, the force's carrier aircraft struck Marcus Island in what would become the blueprint for a fast carrier strike. The task force returned to Pearl Harbor where Nashville and the other cruisers began intensive gunnery exercises.

ww2dbaseOn 29 Sep 1943, Nashville departed with a larger fast carrier strike force built around USS Essex, Yorktown, and Lexington (Essex-class) along with light carriers USS Cowpens, Independence, Belleau Wood plus an expanded screening force. Their objective this time was Wake Island which they struck over two days on 5 and 6 Oct 1943. Unlike their previous raid, this time the cruisers took their turns with shore bombardments of the island. So intense was the island bombardment that island commander Rear Admiral Sakaibara Shigemitsu was convinced it was a prelude to an invasion of the island. Fearing that an escaped POW might communicate weaknesses of his garrison, Admiral Shigemitsu ordered the execution of all 98 remaining prisoners captured 23 Dec 1941, many of whom had been civilian contractors at the time of their capture.

ww2dbaseNashville returned to Pearl Harbor where she spent a week, including three days in drydock, before departing for Espiritu Santo. Once back in the South Pacific, Nashville spent the next seven months making several patrols in and around the Solomon Islands and along northern New Guinea as General Douglas MacArthur continued his westward advance along that shoreline. On 19 Apr 1944, motor-torpedo boat PT-192 delivered General MacArthur and an Army observation party to the Nashville where they would observe the landings at Hollandia and Aitape on New Guinea three days later. General MacArthur and his party left Nashville on 24 Apr 1944 aboard PT-115 as Nashville departed for Seeadler Harbor on Manus Island.

ww2dbaseAt Seeadler on 25 Apr 1944, Captain Charles E. Coney relieved Captain Spanagel as Nashville's commanding officer. The next day, the cruiser departed for a return trip to New Guinea's northern coast as a screening vessel for the continuing Army operations in the Hollandia area. Nashville shelled Wadke and the airfields at Sawar and Biak during this time.

ww2dbaseOn 4 Jun 1944, Nashville's cruiser group came under Japanese air attack off Biak, New Guinea. A near-miss aerial bomb just off Nashville's starboard stern caused serious hull damage that started flooding in two compartments and caused the ship to begin bleeding oil. There were no serious injuries. After stops at Hollandia and Seeadler, Nashville arrived at Espiritu Santo on 18 Jun 1944 where she entered floating drydock ABSD-1 the following day for two weeks of repairs below her waterline. Nashville undocked on 3 Jul 1944 and completed another week of tender repairs before departing for Sydney, Australia.

ww2dbaseNashville returned to the northern New Guinea area where she continued to support the Army's westward advance. On 12 Sep 1944 at Hollandia, New Guinea General MacArthur came aboard again with his special observing party. Within minutes, Nashville sailed for Morotai in the Maluku Islands where the party observed the 15 Sep 1944 landings. Two days after that back at Hollandia, MacArthur and his party left the ship.

ww2dbaseA month later, Nashville was back at Hollandia where Army Signal Corps personnel installed special long-range radio equipment. Again, MacArthur and his staff came aboard and Nashville sailed for another Army invasion beach, this time on Leyte in the Philippines. Nashville anchored in Leyte Gulf on 20 Oct 1944 as MacArthur directed the landings. On 25 Oct 1944, the morning after the night action in the Battle of Surigao Strait, MacArthur and his staff left the ship as Nashville was ordered to cover the northern end of Surigao Strait. A few days later, Nashville's cruiser group merged with a battleship group and on 1 Nov 1944, the formation was subjected to an intense air attack that included special attack aircraft. One of these aircraft struck the destroyer USS Ammen within view from Nashville's bridge. A short time later, another airplane crashed into the destroyer USS Abner Read causing explosions and fires. Abner Read jettisoned her torpedoes which instantly started their runs. Both Nashville and USS Pennsylvania had to take evasive action to avoid the torpedoes as Abner Read sank.

ww2dbaseNashville continued with assignments in or near Leyte Gulf until Dec 1944 when she was designated as the amphibious group flagship for the landing operations on Mindoro. Rear Admiral Arthur Struble came aboard at San Pedro Bay as Commander Task Group 78.3. The group sailed for Mindoro on 12 Dec 1944. The following day while transiting the Bohol Sea, a Japanese aircraft carrying two 63-kilogram bombs crashed into Nashville's superstructure. The resulting explosions and fires caused considerable damage to the ship, killed 133 men, and injured 190 others. Army Major General William Dunckel, MacArthur's Chief of Plans, was among the injured while Navy Captain Everett Abdill, Admiral Struble's Chief of Staff, was among the dead. Struble shifted his flag and Nashville returned to Leyte.

ww2dbaseNashville then made her way to Seeadler, Pearl Harbor, and ultimately Puget Sound, Washington, United States, arriving 12 Jan 1945. Nashville spent over three months at Puget Sound undergoing repairs, modifications, and upgrades. On 30 Jan 1945, Captain Coney turned over command of Nashville temporarily to his executive officer, Commander John T. Corwin, while awaiting the arrival of a new commanding officer. On 21 Mar 1945, Captain Atherton Macondray, Jr. assumed command and Commander Corwin was relieved. While at Puget Sound, the ship developed a minor problem with her engine cooling system that prevented her from achieving full power. On one full-power test run, Nashville struck a submerged log that bent three propellers and damaged two propeller struts. Nashville spent three days in drydock as a result and then departed for San Diego, 1 Apr 1945. Her propulsion issues returned, however, when drills off San Diego revealed some misaligned bearings in Number 1 engine and a bent Number 4 propeller. Nashville spent one day in drydock at Hunters Point, San Francisco and then departed for Pearl Harbor on 15 Apr 1945.

ww2dbaseAfter a week in Hawaii, Nashville sailed for the South Pacific once again. She crossed the equator again on 8 May 1945 where, owing to the many replacements among the crew, 500 slimy pollywogs were initiated into the Ancient Order of the Deep. Nashville was in Subic Bay, Luzon, Philippines on 21 May 1945 when Rear Admiral Russell E. Berkey made Nashville a flagship once again, this time for Task Force 74 to cover the upcoming landing of Australian forces on Borneo. Nashville sailed for Brunei, Borneo on 5 Jun 1945 and remained committed to those operations for over a month. Task Force 74 withdrew on 8 Jul 1945 and Nashville experienced unusual vibrations in her Number 2 propeller. Upon arrival at Subic Bay, an examination by divers revealed cracks in the propeller struts that did not appear to be new. Nashville was still at Subic Bay when the war ended on 15 Aug 1945.

ww2dbaseBeginning 9 Sep 1945, Nashville was assigned to the Yangtze River patrols based in Shanghai, China. Once again, Nashville served as the operation's flagship, this time under Rear Admiral C. Turner Joy. She remained there for two months until 14 Nov 1945 when she departed for Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. Before leaving Shanghai, Nashville took aboard 449 Army and Navy officers and men for transportation to the United States as part of Operation Magic Carpet. During an overnight refueling stop at Pearl Harbor, Nashville embarked an additional 90 personnel bound for the mainland. Nashville arrived at San Pedro, California on 3 Dec 1945 where besides disembarking her passengers, she also detached her Marine and aviation units in order to create more room aboard ship for returning servicemen.

ww2dbaseNashville sailed straightaway for Eniwetok and Kwajalein where she embarked the maximum number of servicemen that she could for transportation to the United States. She departed Christmas Eve bound for San Francisco. On 3 Jan 1946 500 miles west of San Francisco, Nashville came to the assistance of the troop ship USS St. Mary's. St. Mary's had sailed from Okinawa with 1,900 Army personnel bound for Seattle, Washington when she experienced engine failure in heavy seas. Nashville took St. Mary's under tow and both ships arrived in San Francisco on 6 Jan 1945.

ww2dbaseNashville departed San Francisco on 21 Jan 1946 bound for the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard by way of the Panama Canal. Upon arrival at Philadelphia, Nashville began a deactivation overhaul. Nashville was decommissioned on 24 Jun 1946 and placed in the reserve fleet where she remained until 1950. On 9 Jan 1951, the cruiser was sold to the government of Chile and stricken from the Naval Register on 22 Jan 1951.

ww2dbaseThe Chilean authorities took possession of the ship on 25 Jan 1951 and she was commissioned in the Chilean Navy 21 Nov 1951 as the CL Capitán Prat. In 1982, the name Capitán Prat was given to a new Chilean destroyer and the ex-Nashville was renamed CL Chacabuco. The ship served until Apr 1983 when she was sold as scrap to a Canadian interest.

ww2dbaseUSS Nashville served the United States Navy throughout World War II, including two combat-related operations before the country's formal entry into the war. She was employed as a force flagship a total of eight different times (including MacArthur three times) and she received ten battle stars for her service.

United States Navy
NavSource Naval History
USS Nashville Association
United States Navy World War II Dazzle Camouflage
Armada de Chile

Last Major Revision: Jun 2021

Light Cruiser Nashville (CL-43) Interactive Map

Nashville Operational Timeline

24 Jan 1935 Brooklyn-class light cruiser Nashville was laid down by the New York Shipbuilding Corporation at Camden, New Jersey, United States.
2 Oct 1937 Cruiser Nashville was launched with the daughters of the president of a newspaper from Nashville, Tennessee as sponsors.
6 Jun 1938 USS Nashville was commissioned at the Philadelphia Navy Yard with Captain William W. Wilson in command.
21 Sep 1938 On the last leg of her extended shakedown cruise, cruiser USS Nashville departed Portland, England, United Kingdom bound for New York. The ship was also laden with 25 tons of British gold bullion bound for the United States.
29 Apr 1939 US Army Deputy Chief of Staff Brigadier General George Marshall boarded USS Nashville to attend the Pan American Defense Conference in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
10 Jun 1939 Cruiser USS Nashville departed Rio de Janeiro, Brazil bound for Annapolis, Maryland, United States. Nashville was transporting US Army staff officers from the Pan American Defense Conference including Deputy Chief of Staff, Brigadier General George C. Marshall. Also aboard was Brazilian Army Chief of Staff General Goes Monteiro who was beginning a good-will visit to the United States.
23 Jun 1939 USS Nashville departed Norfolk, Virginia, United States.
6 Jul 1939 USS Nashville transited the Panama Canal on her way from Norfolk, Virginia to San Diego, California.
16 Jul 1939 USS Nashville arrived in San Diego, California, United States as the ship was transitioning from the Atlantic to the Pacific.
1 Jan 1940 Captain Ralph S. Wentworth relieved Captain William W. Wilson as the commanding officer of the cruiser USS Nashville.
1 May 1941 Captain Francis S. Craven relieved Captain Ralph S. Wentworth as the commanding officer of the cruiser USS Nashville.
8 Jul 1941 USS New York, Arkansas, Brooklyn, and Nashville escorted the 1st Provisional Marine Brigade to their landings at Reykjavik, Iceland.
28 Aug 1941 Cruiser USS Nashville, prototype escort carrier USS Long Island, and destroyers Livermore and Kearny departed Bermuda as part of the United States Neutrality Patrols in the Atlantic and was also the first American use of an escort carrier in an anti-submarine role.
11 Mar 1942 USS Hornet (Yorktown-class), USS Nashville, and their escorts transited the Panama Canal and entered the Pacific Ocean.
20 Mar 1942 USS Hornet, escorted by USS Nashville and other ships, arrived in San Francisco Bay, California, United States.
2 Apr 1942 USS Hornet departed Naval Air Station Alameda near San Francisco, California with James Doolittle and his 16 US Army B-25 bombers on board.
13 Apr 1942 Task Force 16 (USS Enterprise) made rendezvous with Task Force 18 (USS Hornet) north of Midway and pressed on westward toward the launch point for the Doolittle Raid. Later on the same day, they crossed the 180th meridian.
18 Apr 1942 As part of the covering force for the Doolittle Raid, cruiser USS Nashville was ordered to destroy two Japanese patrol boats, No.23 Nitto Maru and the Nagato Maru. Discovery of these boats prompted the early launch of the Doolittle bombers.
25 Apr 1942 USS Nashville arrived at Pearl Harbor, US Territory of Hawaii.
14 May 1942 USS Nashville departed US Territory of Hawaii for Dutch Harbor, Aleutian Islands.
7 Aug 1942 USS Nashville shelled Japanese shore installations on Kiska Island in the Aleutians causing considerable damage.
30 Sep 1942 Captain Herman A. Spanagel relieved Captain Francis S. Craven as the commanding officer of the cruiser USS Nashville.
16 Dec 1942 Cruiser USS Nashville and destroyer Ralph Talbot departed Pearl Harbor, Hawaii bound for NoumĂ©a, New Caledonia escorting United States Army Transport Frederick Funston.
20 Dec 1942 USS Nashville crossed the equator for the first time and escort USS Ralph Talbot crossed for the second time heading from north to south while escorting USAT Funston from Pearl Harbor, Hawaii to Viti Levu in the Fiji Islands.
13 May 1943 During a bombardment of Kolombangara Island in the Solomons shortly after midnight, cruiser USS Nashville suffered an explosion inside her Number III main turret that killed 18 men and injured 17.
4 Jun 1943 USS Nashville arrived at Mare Island Naval Shipyard for repairs and overhaul.
6 Aug 1943 USS Nashville departed San Francisco area, California, United States for Pearl Harbor, US Territory of Hawaii.
31 Aug 1943 USS Yorktown (Essex-class) and TF 15 arrived at the launching point about 128 miles from Marcus Island in the early morning, spent most of that day launching fighter and bomber strikes on Marcus Island before beginning the retirement to Hawaii that evening.
29 Sep 1943 A fast carrier strike force built around carriers USS Essex, USS Yorktown, USS Lexington, USS Cowpens, USS Independence, and USS Belleau Wood, escorted by USS Nashville and other warships, departed US Territory of Hawaii for combat operations.
5 Oct 1943 Task Force 19 consisting of Essex-class carriers Essex, Lexington, and Yorktown with light carriers Cowpens, Independence, and Belleau Wood escorted by cruisers New Orleans, San Francisco, Birmingham, Nashville, Santa Fe, and Mobile and destroyers Hull, Hazelwood, Bancroft, Caldwell, Coghlan, Braine, Halford, Kidd, Bullard, Chauncey, John Rodgers, Harrison, Murray, Ringgold, Sigsbee, Schroeder, Dashiell, Conner, Burns, Boyd, and Bradford began two days of strikes against Wake Island. So intense was the bombardment that island commander Rear Admiral Sakaibara Shigemitsu was convinced it was a prelude to an invasion and he ordered the execution of all 98 remaining POWs that had been there since 23 Dec 1941, many of whom had been civilian contractors at the time of their capture.
13 Oct 1943 USS Nashville entered the recently completed Drydock No. 4 at the Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard where she remained for 3 days.
15 Jan 1944 USS Nashville arrived at Circular Quay, Sydney, Australia for ten days of recreation and upkeep.
19 Apr 1944 United States Army General Douglas MacArthur and an Army observation party transferred from motor torpedo boat PT-192 to the cruiser USS Nashville off Cape Cretin, New Guinea to observe the landings at Aitape and Hollandia, New Guinea three days later.
24 Apr 1944 Douglas MacArthur disembarked USS Nashville via PT-115.
25 Apr 1944 Captain Charles E. Coney relieved Captain Herman A. Spanagel as the commanding officer of the cruiser USS Nashville.
26 Apr 1944 USS Nashville departed from Seeadler Harbor, Manus Island.
4 Jun 1944 A group of United States and Australian cruisers came under Japanese air attack off Biak Island northwest of New Guinea. USS Nashville sustained serious hull damage from a near-miss aerial bomb off her starboard quarter. There were no serious personnel injuries but two compartments were flooded and the ship began bleeding oil. USS Phoenix sustained damage from two near-miss bombs that killed one sailor and injured four others while causing internal flooding and damage to her propellers.
18 Jun 1944 USS Nashville arrived at Espiritu Santo, New Hebrides.
19 Jun 1944 USS Nashville entered floating drydock ABSD-1 at Espiritu Santo for 15 days of repairs following battle damage.
3 Jul 1944 USS Nashville undocked from floating drydock ABSD-1 at Espiritu Santo, New Hebrides.
12 Sep 1944 United States Army General Douglas MacArthur and an Army observation party arrived aboard the cruiser USS Nashville at Hollandia, New Guinea to observe the landings at Morotai three days later.
17 Sep 1944 Douglas MacArthur disembarked from USS Nashville at Hollandia, Dutch New Guinea.
16 Oct 1944 After the Army Signal Corps installed special long-range radio equipment, United States Army General Douglas MacArthur and an Army observation party arrived aboard the cruiser USS Nashville at Hollandia, New Guinea to observe the landings at Leyte Gulf four days later.
24 Oct 1944 Douglas MacArthur and his staff disembarked from USS Nashville.
1 Nov 1944 A battleship force on station at the northern entrance to Surigao Strait consisting of battleships USS Mississippi, California, and Pennsylvania screened by cruisers USS Phoenix, Boise, Nashville, and HMAS Shropshire along with destroyers Ammen, Bush, Leutze, Newcomb, Bennion, Heywood L. Edwards, Robinson, Richard P. Leary, Bryant, and Claxton came under an intense Japanese air attacking force that included special attack aircraft. USS Ammen sustained a glancing blow from a Yokosuka P1Y 'Francis' that caused considerable topside damage and killed 5 men. An Aichi D3A 'Val' crashed across Abner Read's main deck as it dropped a bomb down one the destroyer's stacks that exploded in the engine room. Abner Read jettisoned her torpedoes which immediately began their runs toward other ships in the group. Abner Read began sinking by the stern and 20 minutes after the attack, she rolled over and sank. 24 were killed. Meanwhile, Mississippi and Nashville had to take emergency evasive actions to avoid the torpedoes.
12 Dec 1944 USS Nashville sailed from San Pedro Bay, Leyte Gulf, Philippines as flagship for RAdm A.D. Struble's Task Group 78.3 bound for the invasion of Mindoro Island.
13 Dec 1944 In the late afternoon south of Mindoro, Philippine Islands, a special attack aircraft struck light cruiser USS Nashville amidships, killing 133 and wounding 190. Two hours later, another special attack aircraft struck, hitting destroyer USS Haraden.
12 Jan 1945 USS Nashville arrived at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard for over 3 months of repairs, modifications, and upgrades.
30 Jan 1945 Executive Officer Commander John T. Corwin relieved Captain Charles E. Coney as the commanding officer of the cruiser USS Nashville while the ship was under repairs.
21 Mar 1945 Captain Atherton Macondray, Jr. relieved Commander John T. Corwin as the commanding officer of the cruiser USS Nashville and would remain in command for the rest of Nashville’s time in the United States Navy.
15 Apr 1945 USS Nashville departed Hunters Point, San Francisco, California, United States for US Territory of Hawaii.
1 May 1945 USS Nashville departed Puget Sound, Washington, United States.
8 May 1945 USS Nashville crossed the equator southbound while transiting from Pearl Harbor, Hawaii to Seeadler Harbor on Manus Island. Due to the large turnover in personnel, 500 slimy pollywogs were initiated into the Ancient Order of the Deep.
21 May 1945 Rear Admiral Russell Berkey broke his flag aboard USS Nashville.
5 Jun 1945 USS Nashville sailed from Subic Bay, Luzon, Philippines as flagship for RAdm R.E. Berkey's Task Force 74 bound to cover the Australian invasion of Brunei, Borneo.
9 Sep 1945 USS Nashville, as flagship for RAdm C. Turner Joy's Task Force 73, arrived on station at Shanghai, China to start 2 months of Yangtze River Patrols.
14 Nov 1945 USS Nashville departed Shanghai, China bound for Pearl Harbor, Hawaii with 449 Army and Navy officers and men for transportation to the United States as part of Operation Magic Carpet.
3 Dec 1945 USS Nashville arrived at San Pedro, California, United States.
3 Jan 1946 USS Nashville made rendezvous with troop ship USS St. Mary's, which was experiencing a failed engine, about 500 miles west of San Francisco, California, United States. She would tow USS St. Mary's back to San Francisco.
6 Jan 1946 USS Nashville, with USS St. Mary's in tow, arrived at San Francisco, California, United States.
21 Jan 1946 USS Nashville departed San Francisco, California, United States for Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States via the Panama Canal.
24 Jun 1946 Cruiser USS Nashville was taken out of commission at Philadelphia Navy Yard and placed in reserve after nearly exactly 8 years of active service.
9 Jan 1951 Nashville was sold to Chile.
22 Jan 1951 USS Nashville was stricken from the Naval Register after having been sold to the government of Chile.
21 Nov 1951 The ex-Nashville was commissioned into the Chilean Navy as CL Capitán Prat.
29 Apr 1983 The Chilean Navy sold the ex-Nashville to Canadian interests for scrap.


Schematic drawing of the United States Brooklyn-class light cruiser, of which there were nine. The Brooklyn-class design had a large influence on subsequent cruiser designs, both large cruisers and light.Ann and Mildred Stahlman, the daughters of the president of
See all 29 photographs of Light Cruiser Nashville (CL-43)

Did you enjoy this article or find this article helpful? If so, please consider supporting us on Patreon. Even $1 per month will go a long way! Thank you.

Share this article with your friends:


Stay updated with WW2DB:

 RSS Feeds

Visitor Submitted Comments

1. Randy says:
9 Oct 2010 09:28:37 PM

I recently found a small (4" X 6") leather bound book titled "your ship the Nashville 1942 - 1945". It has a 124 pages, 1/2 b&w photos and the other 1/2 a narrative/description of the photos. Is this something you might like to purchase?
2. Anonymous says:
29 Nov 2010 08:14:14 AM

visit http://www.ussnashville.org for more information on this ship. There is also a book title "Humble Heroes, How The USS Nashville Fought WWII" on Amazon.
3. dalew says:
3 Apr 2015 10:04:01 PM

randy if book not sold id be interested.
4. Ms.Dale Walkinshaw says:
17 Apr 2015 04:26:53 PM

My dad was a sea going marine on the Tennesee his name was William Chester Eggers if any one knew his please contact me at 719-429-7730 thank you
5. Anonymous says:
12 Dec 2016 11:25:09 AM

Your citation for USS Haradan as the destroyer is incorrect. On the formation of the Newfoundland Escort Command, Columbia's low radius and Canadian naturally led to her return to Canadian waterrs, and she was thereafter based at Halifax, NS. She did well to remain in service until 1944, but the end came when she struck a cliff at Moreton Bay, Newfoundland on 25 February 1944. Technically, she did not ground, as she never touched bottom, but the impact crushed the ship's bows and she was towed to St John's, NF, where she lay unrepaired until July 1944. Then, minus her damaged bows, she was hulked at Liverpool, NS, as a static fuel and ammuntion depot for ships under repair. Paid off from this duty on 12 June 1945, the hulk was sold for scrap 7 August 1945. More at: http://www.navsource.org/archives/05/183.htm
6. Commenter identity confirmed David Stubblebine says:
12 Dec 2016 03:40:28 PM

To Anonymous (above):
This is one of those cases where everybody’s right - but it turns out we are talking about different ships. The Wickes-class USS Haraden (DD-183) later became the HMCS Columbia and suffered the fate you describe but the Fletcher-class USS Haraden (DD-585) was struck by an attacking aircraft on 13 Dec 1944 in the Surigao Strait.
7. Kelly says:
28 Feb 2017 08:16:33 PM

My Pampa, BMCM James E. Sutton, began his Naval career aboard the USS Nashville CL-43. He was one of the many injured on December 13, 1944. My Pampa was with the USS Nashville when she made her maiden voyage and he was with her on her last. I spent my childhood being regaled by stories of her.
8. Wayne says:
23 Apr 2017 05:28:49 PM

My Dad, Frank S. Leake, was an electrician's mate on the USS Nashville. Although he did not talk much about his experiences, he did relate one interesting fact about the kamikaze attack. He was supposed to be at a station above deck when the plane hit, but a buddy had convinced him to trade watches in order to play cards. If he had not traded, he would have been one of the casualties. Also, at my Dad's funeral in 1993, we were pleasantly surprised and honored that the ship chaplain attended the service. He indicated that Dad had been one of a few who volunteered to identify the dead and otherwise assist the chaplain with his overwhelming duties. We owe so much to him and many other men and women who gave their all.
9. Nina Friel says:
20 Jun 2017 03:11:22 PM

My Great Uncle John (Jack) Hulson was a gunners mate on the ship when the kamikaze hit and he was killed.
10. R Hopson says:
23 Oct 2017 01:03:38 PM

My uncle Denzel Joseph Faubion was killed in the kamikaze hit. Always wished I knew more about him and had the chance to know him.
11. Mike Lankford says:
26 Oct 2017 10:31:26 PM

My great uncle Cox. Paul Keith was also killed during the attack. Punched an officer to get into combat.
12. Joan McLaughlin Boyd says:
28 May 2018 08:14:39 PM

My father and his bother served on the Nashville . Azel lee McLaughlin
13. Anonymous says:
14 Dec 2018 11:01:44 PM

My father was on the Nashville. He wouldn’t talk about the kamikaze attack until he was in his early 70’s. He had a gruesome story to tell and it’s hard to believe he coped with life as well as he did. He most certainly had survivor’s guilt!
14. Mark Simonelli says:
2 Nov 2019 04:15:34 PM

My father Charles (Charlie)Simonelli was on the Nashville. He was a BM.
15. John Signorelli says:
7 Oct 2020 02:45:04 PM

My Grandfather, who bears my same name, John Signorelli, was a Fire Controlman S2/C onboard the USS Nashville. He was one of those who gave their life, that tragic day, Dec. 13, 1944, and was killed in the Kamikaze attack. He was a semi-pro boxer before enlisting, and maybe someone remembers him sparring onboard?? Sure do miss him.
16. B. Koenig says:
16 May 2021 08:20:46 AM

My father served on CL-43 from 1938 - 1945 rising to RMC. Only talked of the war in general terms, never talked of any specific details. I met one of his shipmates, Lou Farmer, but missed my chance to meet others at their reunion in Norfolk, VA. What an awesome ship to have won 10 Battle Stars yet survive the war and bring so many home.
17. John Berggreen says:
30 May 2021 09:09:05 AM

My Dad was CPO Engineman on the Nashville. When I was a little boy he gave me the cut out of the "Rising Sun" from the Kamikaze that hit the ship, bad idea to hand that to a young boy, what I did with it, who knows? I do have a 9 QT. cooking pot, engraved with the ships name on it, I was hoping to donate it to a museum related to the Nashville but have not been able to find any such establishment. Guess I will find some other use for it. Thank you all for establishing and supporting sites such as this.
18. Beverly Irby says:
20 Nov 2021 05:48:28 PM

My Father served on the USS Nashville and was in the gunnery next to the stacks the day the kamikaze came in. He was on Borneo - got shot in the arm as the guys were playing ball on the beach (they were attacked). He was also on the ship-- this, he said was the first US ship up the Yuangpoo (sp?) River (Yellow River) in Shanghai.
19. James G Violante says:
2 Dec 2021 09:00:17 AM

Looking for Charles House crewman on Nashville during WWII
20. James G Violante says:
2 Dec 2021 02:04:35 PM

Looking for information about Edward Cecil House Crewman on Nashville during WWII
21. George Baumgarten says:
27 Jan 2023 06:26:29 PM

Looking for information about George Emil Baumgarten's service records while on Nashville CL-43 during WWll

All visitor submitted comments are opinions of those making the submissions and do not reflect views of WW2DB.

Posting Your Comments on this Topic

Your Name
Your Email
 Your email will not be published
Comment Type
Your Comments
Security Code



1. We hope that visitor conversations at WW2DB will be constructive and thought-provoking. Please refrain from using strong language. HTML tags are not allowed. Your IP address will be tracked even if you remain anonymous. WW2DB site administrators reserve the right to moderate, censor, and/or remove any comment. All comment submissions will become the property of WW2DB.

2. For inquiries about military records for members of the World War II armed forces, please see our FAQ.

Change View
Desktop View

Search WW2DB & Partner Sites
More on Nashville
Event(s) Participated:
» United States Neutrality Patrol
» Invasion and Occupation of Iceland
» Doolittle Raid
» Battle of Midway and the Aleutian Islands
» Solomon Islands Campaign
» Aleutian Islands Campaign
» New Guinea-Papua Campaign, Phase 3
» Battle of Morotai
» Philippines Campaign, Phase 1, the Leyte Campaign
» Philippines Campaign, Phase 2
» Borneo Campaign

Related Books:
» Lucky's Life

Light Cruiser Nashville (CL-43) Photo Gallery
Schematic drawing of the United States Brooklyn-class light cruiser, of which there were nine. The Brooklyn-class design had a large influence on subsequent cruiser designs, both large cruisers and light.Ann and Mildred Stahlman, the daughters of the president of
See all 29 photographs of Light Cruiser Nashville (CL-43)

Famous WW2 Quote
"The raising of that flag on Suribachi means a Marine Corps for the next 500 years."

James Forrestal, Secretary of the Navy, 23 Feb 1945

Support Us

Please consider supporting us on Patreon. Even $1 a month will go a long way. Thank you!

Or, please support us by purchasing some WW2DB merchandise at TeeSpring, Thank you!