Aircraft were still something new at the start of WW2, but it took little time for commanders to realize these machines were a requirement of modern warfare.
From the Atlantic to the Pacific, these floating cities performed duties ranging from, but not limited to, shore bombardment, aircraft launching, and transportation of men and supplies.
Twenty years after WW1 ended, the ground war was completely transformed from static trenches to highly mobile battlefields; these vehicles were the driving forces behind that change.
Machines such as aircraft and ships might have held greater potentials of devastation, but the infantrymen were the basic building blocks without which a war cannot be won. These infantry weapons were the infantrymen's instruments of battle.
- » WW2-era bomb defused in Frankfurt (9 Jul 2019)
- » Birthday Celebration for WAAF Teleprinter Operator (7 Jul 2019)
- » Passing of Richard Cole, Doolittle Raider (10 Apr 2019)
- » Wreck of Wasp Found (13 Mar 2019)
- » Wreck of Hornet Found (12 Feb 2019)
- » Wreck of Hiei Found (11 Feb 2019)
- » See all news
- » 1,062 biographies
- » 331 events
- » 36,844 timeline entries
- » 1,034 ships
- » 332 aircraft models
- » 185 vehicle models
- » 344 weapon models
- » 104 historical documents
- » 190 facilities
- » 462 book reviews
- » 25,708 photos
- » 297 maps
Thomas Dodd, late 1945