Aircraft were still something new at the start of WW2, but it took little time for commanders to realize these machines were a requirement of modern warfare.
From the Atlantic to the Pacific, these floating cities performed duties ranging from, but not limited to, shore bombardment, aircraft launching, and transportation of men and supplies.
Twenty years after WW1 ended, the ground war was completely transformed from static trenches to highly mobile battlefields; these vehicles were the driving forces behind that change.
Weapons and Miscellaneous Equipment
Small arms, artillery, grenades, blades, helmets, uniforms, and other pieces of weapons and miscellaneous equipment used in WW2.
- » Japan and Russia to continue negotiations on the Kuriles territorial dispute (22 Nov 2019)
- » Wreck of Akagi Found (21 Oct 2019)
- » Wreck of Kaga Found (18 Oct 2019)
- » USMC corrected Iwo Jima flag raiser identification (18 Oct 2019)
- » See all news
- » 1,068 biographies
- » 331 events
- » 37,136 timeline entries
- » 1,055 ships
- » 333 aircraft models
- » 186 vehicle models
- » 346 weapon models
- » 104 historical documents
- » 202 facilities
- » 463 book reviews
- » 26,099 photos
- » 311 maps
Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, 16 Mar 1945