Aircraft were still something new at the start of WW2, but it took little time for commanders to realize these machines were a requirement of modern warfare.
From the Atlantic to the Pacific, these floating cities performed duties ranging from, but not limited to, shore bombardment, aircraft launching, and transportation of men and supplies.
Twenty years after WW1 ended, the ground war was completely transformed from static trenches to highly mobile battlefields; these vehicles were the driving forces behind that change.
Weapons and Miscellaneous Equipment
Small arms, artillery, grenades, blades, helmets, uniforms, and other pieces of weapons and miscellaneous equipment used in WW2.
- » WW2DB's 15th Anniversary (29 Dec 2019)
- » Japan and Russia to continue negotiations on the Kuriles territorial dispute (22 Nov 2019)
- » Wreck of Akagi Found (21 Oct 2019)
- » Wreck of Kaga Found (18 Oct 2019)
- » USMC corrected Iwo Jima flag raiser identification (18 Oct 2019)
- » See all news
- » 1,074 biographies
- » 331 events
- » 37,289 timeline entries
- » 1,058 ships
- » 334 aircraft models
- » 186 vehicle models
- » 347 weapon models
- » 105 historical documents
- » 211 facilities
- » 463 book reviews
- » 26,322 photos
- » 314 maps
Lt. Gen. Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, at Guadalcanal