Aircraft were still something new at the start of WW2, but it took little time for commanders to realize these machines were a requirement of modern warfare.
From the Atlantic to the Pacific, these floating cities performed duties ranging from, but not limited to, shore bombardment, aircraft launching, and transportation of men and supplies.
Twenty years after WW1 ended, the ground war was completely transformed from static trenches to highly mobile battlefields; these vehicles were the driving forces behind that change.
Weapons and Miscellaneous Equipment
Small arms, artillery, grenades, blades, helmets, uniforms, and other pieces of weapons and miscellaneous equipment used in WW2.
- » WW2DB's 16th Anniversary (29 Dec 2020)
- » Hidekazu Tamura shared his feelings toward his war time internment (2 Sep 2020)
- » WW2DB's 15th Anniversary (29 Dec 2019)
- » Japan and Russia to continue negotiations on the Kuriles territorial dispute (22 Nov 2019)
- » Wreck of Akagi Found (21 Oct 2019)
- » Wreck of Kaga Found (18 Oct 2019)
- » See all news
- » 1,094 biographies
- » 332 events
- » 38,156 timeline entries
- » 1,125 ships
- » 337 aircraft models
- » 190 vehicle models
- » 352 weapon models
- » 117 historical documents
- » 225 facilities
- » 464 book reviews
- » 27,146 photos
- » 351 maps
Winston Churchill, on the RAF