Contributor: C. Peter Chen
ww2dbaseThe first summit meeting between the Anglo-American alliance and Stalin took place in the capital of Persia, at the time divided between British and Russian spheres of influence. Major issued discussed were:
- Stalin confirmed Foreign Minister Molotov's earlier claim that three months after Germany's final defeat, Russia would declare war on Japan.
- General plan and timing of the Anglo-American invasion of France: May 1944 date was agreed upon for such an invasion.
- Postwar independence of Persia from British and Russian colonial rule.
- Yugoslavian partisans would be supported by Allied powers to oppose Nazi rule.
- The Allies would attempt to acquire Turkey as an ally against Germany to extend the Eastern Front. Stalin pledged material support to Turkish troops should they join the Allies.
ww2dbaseThe items above were confirmed by a public declaration: "We the President of the United States, the Prime Minister of Great Britain, and the Premier of the Soviet Union, have met these four days past, in this, the Capital of our Ally, Iran, and have shaped and confirmed our common policy."
ww2dbaseSources: The Pacific Campaign, Wikipedia.
Last Major Update: May 2005
Tehran Conference Interactive Map
Tehran Conference Timeline
|28 Nov 1943||The Teheran Conference began between Roosevelt, Stalin, and Churchill.|
Did you enjoy this article or find this article helpful? If so, please consider supporting us on Patreon. Even $1 per month will go a long way! Thank you.
Share this article with your friends:
Stay updated with WW2DB:
Visitor Submitted Comments
17 Apr 2018 04:08:07 PM
All visitor submitted comments are opinions of those making the submissions and do not reflect views of WW2DB.
» Churchill, Winston
» Dill, John
» Hopkins, Harry
» Molotov, Vyacheslav
» Roosevelt, Franklin
» Stalin, Joseph
» Voroshilov, Kliment
- » 1,131 biographies
- » 336 events
- » 41,830 timeline entries
- » 1,210 ships
- » 347 aircraft models
- » 206 vehicle models
- » 370 weapon models
- » 123 historical documents
- » 249 facilities
- » 469 book reviews
- » 28,989 photos
- » 401 maps
Thomas Dodd, late 1945
28 Nov 2009 09:50:40 AM
I'm finding it difficult to unearth primary sources from the Tehran Conference for a project all I have are some comments from the time, in secondary source books. Any information about primary sources here would be invaluable