Wreck of Akagi Found
Days after announcing the discovery and identification of carrier Kaga, the team sponsored by the late Paul Allen, of Microsoft fame, announced yet another major discovery on 20 Oct 2019. The wreck of carrier Akagi was discovered by the research ship R/V Petrel about 2,090 kilometers northwest of Honolulu, Hawaii, United States, 5,490 meters below the ocean surface. The carrier was lost during the Battle of Midway in 1942. Director of the project, Rob Kraft, is certain of the identification based on the wreck's dimensions.
To date, the team had discovered 30 naval wrecks.
Back to Main | Back to 2019 News Index
Did you enjoy this article? Please consider supporting us on Patreon. Even $1 per month will go a long way! Thank you.
Share this article with your friends:
Stay updated with WW2DB:
- » Japan and Russia to continue negotiations on the Kuriles territorial dispute (22 Nov 2019)
- » Wreck of Akagi Found (21 Oct 2019)
- » Wreck of Kaga Found (18 Oct 2019)
- » USMC corrected Iwo Jima flag raiser identification (18 Oct 2019)
- » See all news
- » 1,068 biographies
- » 331 events
- » 37,136 timeline entries
- » 1,055 ships
- » 333 aircraft models
- » 186 vehicle models
- » 346 weapon models
- » 104 historical documents
- » 202 facilities
- » 463 book reviews
- » 26,099 photos
- » 311 maps