ww2dbaseThe leaders of the three Great Powers-the Soviet Union, the United States of America and Great Britain-have agreed that in two or three months after Germany has surrendered and the war in Europe has terminated the Soviet Union shall enter into the war against Japan on the side of the Allies on condition that :
- The status quo in Outer-Mongolia (The Mongolian People's Republic) shall be preserved;
- The former rights of Russia violated by the treacherous attack of Japan in 1904 shall be restored, viz:
- the southern part of Sakhalin as well as all islands adjacent to it shall be returned to the Soviet Union,
- the commercial port of Dairen shall be internationalized, the preeminent interests of the Soviet Union in this port being safeguarded and the lease of Port Arthur as a naval base of the USSR restored,
- the Chinese-Eastern Railroad and the South-Manchurian Railroad which provides an outlet to Dairen shall be jointly operated by the establishment of a joint Soviet-Chinese Company it being understood that the preeminent interests of the Soviet Union shall be safeguarded and that China shall retain full sovereignty in Manchuria;
- The Kuril islands shall be handed over to the Soviet Union.
It is understood, that the agreement concerning Outer-Mongolia and the port and railroads referred to above will require concurrence of Generalissimo Chiang Kai-shek. The President will take measures in order to obtain this concurrence on advice from Marshal Stalin.
The Heads of the three Great Powers have agreed that these claims of the Soviet Union shall be unquestionably fulfilled after Japan has been defeated.
For its part the Soviet Union expresses its readiness to conclude with the National Government of China a pact of friendship and alliance between the USSR and China in order to render assistance to China with its armed forces for the purpose of liberating China from the Japanese yoke.
February 11, 1945
J. V. STALIN
FRANKLIN D. ROOSEVELT
WINSTON S. CHURCHILL ww2dbase
Source: Japan National Diet Library
Added By: C. Peter Chen
Did you enjoy this article? Please consider supporting us on Patreon. Even $1 per month will go a long way! Thank you.
» Winston Churchill
» Franklin Roosevelt
» Joseph Stalin
» Yalta Conference
- » 1,043 biographies
- » 327 events
- » 35,773 timeline entries
- » 728 ships
- » 329 aircraft models
- » 184 vehicle models
- » 340 weapon models
- » 104 historical documents
- » 178 facilities
- » 458 book reviews
- » 25,097 photos
- » 289 maps
Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, 16 Mar 1945