Howard W. Whalen's Iwo Jima Color Photographs
Contributor: C. Peter Chen
Lieutenant Commander Howard W. Whalen served with the United States Naval Reserves aboard USS Sanborn (APA-193) at the Battle of Iwo Jima. His color 35mm Kodachrome slides captured the war time service of Sanborn, and most notably, the Battle of Iwo Jima. The gallery on this page contains the photographs taken by Whalen. They were donated by Mrs. Nadine Whalen to the United States Navy Naval Historical center in 1997.
For more about Whalen, please see his biography entry right here at the WW2DB.com.
Last Major Update: Mar 2007
Howard W. Whalen's Iwo Jima Color Photographs Interactive Map
Did you enjoy this article? Please consider supporting us on Patreon. Even $1 per month will go a long way! Thank you.
Share this article with your friends:
Stay updated with WW2DB:
Visitor Submitted Comments
All visitor submitted comments are opinions of those making the submissions and do not reflect views of WW2DB.
- » WW2DB's 15th Anniversary (29 Dec 2019)
- » Japan and Russia to continue negotiations on the Kuriles territorial dispute (22 Nov 2019)
- » Wreck of Akagi Found (21 Oct 2019)
- » Wreck of Kaga Found (18 Oct 2019)
- » USMC corrected Iwo Jima flag raiser identification (18 Oct 2019)
- » See all news
- » 1,082 biographies
- » 331 events
- » 37,458 timeline entries
- » 1,074 ships
- » 336 aircraft models
- » 189 vehicle models
- » 352 weapon models
- » 107 historical documents
- » 216 facilities
- » 463 book reviews
- » 26,624 photos
- » 318 maps
General Douglas MacArthur at Leyte, 17 Oct 1944