Howard W. Whalen's Iwo Jima Color Photographs
Contributor: C. Peter Chen
Lieutenant Commander Howard W. Whalen served with the United States Naval Reserves aboard USS Sanborn (APA-193) at the Battle of Iwo Jima. His color 35mm Kodachrome slides captured the war time service of Sanborn, and most notably, the Battle of Iwo Jima. The gallery on this page contains the photographs taken by Whalen. They were donated by Mrs. Nadine Whalen to the United States Navy Naval Historical center in 1997.
For more about Whalen, please see his biography entry right here at the WW2DB.com.
Last Major Update: Mar 2007
Howard W. Whalen's Iwo Jima Color Photographs Interactive Map
Did you enjoy this article? Please consider supporting us on Patreon. Even $1 per month will go a long way! Thank you.
Share this article with your friends:
Stay updated with WW2DB:
Visitor Submitted Comments
All visitor submitted comments are opinions of those making the submissions and do not reflect views of WW2DB.
- » Hidekazu Tamura shared his feelings toward his war time internment (2 Sep 2020)
- » WW2DB's 15th Anniversary (29 Dec 2019)
- » Japan and Russia to continue negotiations on the Kuriles territorial dispute (22 Nov 2019)
- » Wreck of Akagi Found (21 Oct 2019)
- » Wreck of Kaga Found (18 Oct 2019)
- » See all news
- » 1,093 biographies
- » 332 events
- » 37,977 timeline entries
- » 1,112 ships
- » 337 aircraft models
- » 189 vehicle models
- » 352 weapon models
- » 116 historical documents
- » 225 facilities
- » 464 book reviews
- » 27,030 photos
- » 339 maps
Winston Churchill, on the RAF