Wreck of Wasp Found
On the heel of the identification of major WW2 ships such as Hiei and Hornet, Vulcan researchers announced that the wreckage of USS Wasp (CV-7) had been identified in the Coral Sea. The discovery was made under nearly 14,000 feet of water in Jan 2019. The carrier was fatally damaged by torpedoes fired from Japanese submarine I-19 in Sep 1942; 193 were killed, and 366 were wounded.
Vulcan is a company founded by the late Paul Allen of Microsoft fame.
For more information:
USNI: Wreckage Of World War II-Era Carrier USS Wasp Discovered
WW2DB: USS Wasp
WW2DB: Guadalcanal Campaign
Back to Main | Back to 2019 News Index
Did you enjoy this article? Please consider supporting us on Patreon. Even $1 per month will go a long way! Thank you.
Share this article with your friends:
Stay updated with WW2DB:
Visitor Submitted Comments
All visitor submitted comments are opinions of those making the submissions and do not reflect views of WW2DB.
- » Wreck of Kaga Found (18 Oct 2019)
- » USMC corrected Iwo Jima flag raiser identification (18 Oct 2019)
- » WW2-era bomb defused in Frankfurt (9 Jul 2019)
- » Birthday Celebration for WAAF Teleprinter Operator (7 Jul 2019)
- » Passing of Richard Cole, Doolittle Raider (10 Apr 2019)
- » See all news
- » 1,063 biographies
- » 331 events
- » 37,007 timeline entries
- » 1,052 ships
- » 333 aircraft models
- » 186 vehicle models
- » 345 weapon models
- » 104 historical documents
- » 195 facilities
- » 463 book reviews
- » 25,859 photos
- » 301 maps
Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, 16 Mar 1945